Iran declares victory in war as Trump shifts to economic pressure


Iran’s military and political leadership declared victory over the United States on August 17, marking a symbolic end to the conflict even as President Trump shifts strategy toward economic isolation. Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said Tehran had defeated the US and Israel “politically and militarily,” while President Masoud Pezeshkian framed the war’s end as a triumph achieved from “a position of power and dignity.”

The declaration comes after nearly six months of military operations that failed to force Iran to the negotiating table. Pentagon advisers reported last month that the US had nearly exhausted its list of targets in Iran and that the military campaign had reached the limits of its effectiveness, prompting Trump to pause nightly strikes that had run down US stockpiles of key munitions.

Empty military command center with darkened screens and abandoned tactical maps, cold fluorescent lighting casting harsh shadows on vacant control stations, a single chair pushed back from a desk

Pivot to Economic Pressure

Facing the stalled military campaign and mounting pressure over the conflict’s cost ahead of midterm elections, Trump announced on August 20 what he called the “most crushing economic operation ever taken against any country.” The president threatened “tremendous economic consequences” for any nation allowing its financial institutions, businesses, airports, or government entities to provide support to Iran.

Trump’s announcement contained no operational details, though he listed activities he said must stop immediately: “oil smuggling, swap lines, cash transfers, exchange houses, ship registries, front companies.” Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent promised to reveal the strategy’s mechanics at a news conference scheduled for August 24.

Vice President JD Vance described the sanctions as a “new phase” of the conflict, calling economic pressure the “most effective” tool available. The US has already launched Operation Economic Fury, a two-pronged campaign combining Treasury-coordinated sanctions and a naval blockade against Iranian ports.

Port facility at night with container cranes silhouetted against dark water, a few cargo ships visible at anchor, minimal activity, industrial but quiet atmosphere

The strategy faces significant obstacles. Experts warn that secondary sanctions on Iran’s trading partners—particularly China, Tehran’s largest trade partner—could trigger direct US-China confrontation at a delicate moment in bilateral relations. Chinese leader Xi Jinping is expected to visit the US next month, further complicating any effort to target Beijing’s imports of Iranian oil.

Iran has weathered nearly continuous, punishing sanctions for nearly 50 years since the Islamic Revolution of 1979. When Trump withdrew from the 2015 nuclear deal and reimposed sanctions in 2018, Iran adapted by developing sophisticated evasion networks, including shadow tanker operations and front companies. Sanctions experts say Iran continues to find new pathways around restrictions faster than enforcement teams can identify them.

“Whatever sanctions one does, they find a new road around it,” said Mohammed Hammouda, an export control and sanctions manager at the London Stock Exchange, noting that Iran’s counter-moves often leave compliance enforcers playing catch-up.

Mohammad Mokhber, an adviser to Iran’s supreme leader, dismissed the economic pressure campaign on Tuesday, saying military pressure and sanctions would not break Iran’s resolve. He indicated Tehran remained open to dialogue with the US but would not confuse negotiations with surrender. Meanwhile, the United Arab Emirates announced it would suspend all trade activities and financial transactions with Iran after reporting two missiles launched from the country—a claim Tehran dismissed as baseless. Prior to the war, the UAE was one of Iran’s largest trade partners, providing more than 30 percent of its imports.

Geostrategy experts question whether the new economic campaign will succeed where military options failed. “This is really a recognition that the US is almost stuck in this war,” said Imran Bayoumi of the Atlantic Council. “The question of what the US is trying to achieve is still unanswered.” The US plans to pursue maximum economic pressure, but Iran’s demonstrated ability to adapt to sanctions and the reluctance of key allies like China to comply may limit the strategy’s impact.

Sources

  • Euronews — Iran’s president calls for end to war from position of power as US ups pressure (August 21, 2026)
  • The Guardian — Trump threatens Iran’s trade partners as military strikes make way for economic pressure (August 20, 2026)
  • BBC News — How much could Trump’s ‘economic D-Day’ hurt Iran? (August 20, 2026)
  • CNBC — Trump declares ‘economic warfare’ on Iran, threatens its trading partners (August 19, 2026)
  • Reuters — Trump warns of economic consequences for countries supporting Iran (August 20, 2026)
  • NPR — Top Iran official says US focus on economic warfare will not break resolve (August 21, 2026)

Give your feedback

Be the first to rate this post
or leave a detailed review



ECIKS.org is an independent media. Support us by adding us to your Google News favorites:

Post a comment

Publish a comment