President Donald Trump’s super PAC war chest has climbed to $404 million, yet the organization spent nothing on Republican candidates in July and almost nothing all cycle, according to Federal Election Commission filings released Thursday.
MAGA Inc. added $3 million in donations and interest payments in July but made zero independent expenditures to support GOP candidates, continuing a pattern that has alarmed Republican donors and operatives heading into the November midterms.
The super PAC has deployed just $18,000 on behalf of any candidates since January—a single text message campaign for a Georgia special election in March. That represents roughly 0.004% of its massive cash pile, even as competitive races in Texas, Iowa, and other once-safe Republican states have tightened dramatically.

The funding disparity reflects a fundamental dynamic in Trump’s political operation: while donors have poured unprecedented sums into MAGA Inc., the super PAC has become a repository for wealth rather than a weapon deployed to defend Republican majorities. According to the Brennan Center for Justice, 96% of MAGA Inc.’s funds come from donors giving $1 million or more, with 62% from those contributing $5 million or higher.
The list of major donors reads like a who’s who of billionaires and business interests with stakes in Trump administration policy. Miriam Adelson, owner of Las Vegas Sands Corp., venture capitalist Marc Andreessen, and quant trader Jeff Yass have all contributed substantially. The pattern has raised questions about whether the PAC functions as a conduit for influence-buying rather than a genuine midterm war machine.
A History of Reluctance in Races He Doesn’t Control
Trump’s current spending hesitation mirrors his past behavior. In 2018, when the midterms threatened Republican control of Congress but Trump was not on the ballot, his America First Action super PAC spent less than $30 million—a pittance compared to the roughly $820 million all super PACs deployed that cycle.
Advisers close to Trump have suggested the president could be unwilling to spend heavily if the party looks poised to lose seats, according to reporting from July. That concern has proven prescient: as races have tightened, MAGA Inc. remains dormant while Texas Senate nominee Ken Paxton, who ousted incumbent John Cornyn with Trump’s endorsement, finds himself in a statistical dead heat with Democrat James Talarico.
Republican donors say Trump bears responsibility for financing the race he reshaped. “You broke it, now you own it. You gotta spend some of your money to defend him because we’ve got bigger fish to fry,” one GOP donor told Politico. Yet MAGA Inc. has not opened its coffers even in Texas, where the seat was moved to “toss-up” status this week by the nonpartisan Cook Political Report.

A MAGA Inc. spokesperson said the organization is “committed to retaining and building the GOP majorities” but declined to outline spending plans, saying the PAC is “not in the habit of sharing our battle plans.” Trump himself said earlier this month that the money would flow, telling Punchbowl News, “I’m going to help Republicans.” Trump’s chief political director, James Blair, said in June that funds would be spent but refused to provide a timeline or targeting strategy.
The tension between the super PAC’s size and its inaction has left some Republicans questioning whether the $404 million will ever be deployed meaningfully. The National Republican Senatorial Committee has made a similar calculation, spending in only eight races and notably excluding Texas, despite Paxton’s primary victory upending what was once considered a safe Republican seat.
Sources
- Bloomberg — reported MAGA Inc.’s $404 million war chest and zero spending in July
- Politico — detailed the PAC’s inaction in competitive races and donor frustration over the Texas Senate seat
- Brennan Center for Justice — provided data on megadonor concentration (96% from $1M+ donors)
- PBS News — documented Trump’s 2018 America First Action spending pattern and historical reluctance to fund races where he isn’t running
- Federal Election Commission — filings confirming July spending and cash-on-hand figures











