Prince Harry loses privacy lawsuit against Daily Mail, faces millions in legal costs


Prince Harry and six other high-profile claimants lost their privacy lawsuit against Associated Newspapers, the publisher of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday, after a High Court judge dismissed all 97 allegations on July 7, 2026. Judge Mr Justice Nicklin ruled that the claimants had failed to prove their claims that the newspaper group used unlawful methods to gather information for stories.

The case, which included celebrities such as Elton John, Elizabeth Hurley, and Sadie Frost, alleged that the publisher had engaged in widespread unlawful information gathering—including phone hacking and the use of private detectives. However, the judge found that the claimants could not rely on “suspicion, even where understandable” and instead needed concrete proof.

A formal courtroom interior with wooden benches, the judge's elevated bench, and tall windows casting shadows across the empty gallery, conveying legal authority and judicial finality

In a 436-page judgment, Mr Justice Nicklin examined each claimed breach of privacy individually. He said he accepted the denials of Associated Newspapers journalists who provided lawful explanations for how they sourced their articles. The judge also rejected claims that three senior executives—former editors Paul Dacre and Peter Wright, and senior lawyer Elizabeth Hartley—had lied when they told the Leveson Inquiry there was no unlawful activity at the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday.

Prince Harry, who appeared as a witness during the trial, became emotional when describing the impact of the articles on his life and his wife, the Duchess of Sussex. He argued that 14 articles about his private life had been written using unlawfully gathered information. Associated Newspapers denied all allegations and called the judgment an “overwhelming victory” and “magnificent vindication” of the Daily Mail’s journalism.

This ruling marks a sharp reversal for Prince Harry, who had won settlements in previous media battles. In 2023, he was awarded £140,600 in damages after a court found that Mirror Group Newspapers had committed “widespread and habitual” phone hacking. In January 2025, he settled his case against News Group Newspapers, publisher of The Sun, for a substantial undisclosed sum and received a rare public apology.

Facing Millions in Legal Costs

While Prince Harry won those earlier cases, the Daily Mail loss carries severe financial consequences. On July 29, the High Court heard that Associated Newspapers had incurred £34.5 million in legal costs during the two-and-a-half-month trial. The claimants’ legal insurance covers only £16.2 million, leaving a potential shortfall of approximately £18.3 million.

A desk with stacks of legal documents and files, a calculator, and a pen, illuminated by soft office lighting, symbolizing the financial burden of litigation

The publisher is seeking an interim payment of £10 million from the claimants, with a full costs hearing scheduled to determine the final amount each party must pay. The total legal expenses for both sides exceeded £50 million, according to court statements. Prince Harry and his fellow claimants face the possibility of having to cover a substantial portion of those costs out of their own pockets if their insurance proves insufficient.

In their joint statement after the July 7 ruling, Prince Harry and Baroness Doreen Lawrence, whose son Stephen was murdered in 1993, said they had come to court “seeking justice and accountability” but had “received neither.” They called the judgment “a complete and obvious whitewash.”

Sources

  • BBC News — Full coverage of the July 7 judgment, the judge’s reasoning, the claimants involved, and the July 29 costs hearing.
  • Reuters — Details on the £34.5 million legal bill incurred by Associated Newspapers and the insurance shortfall.
  • The Guardian — Information on the claimants’ insurance covering £16.2 million and the potential £18.3 million shortfall.
  • The New York Times — Context on the trial duration, total legal costs exceeding £50 million, and Prince Harry’s previous settlement attempts.
  • People Magazine — Details on Prince Harry’s earlier settlement with Mirror Group Newspapers in 2023 and The Sun in 2025.

Give your feedback

Be the first to rate this post
or leave a detailed review



ECIKS.org is an independent media. Support us by adding us to your Google News favorites:

Post a comment

Publish a comment