Minister: Measures against KEK management
Prishtinë, 28.11.2006 - In the meeting of the Task Force on Energy, Minister of Energy and Mining, Ethem Ceku, said KEK managers would be dismissed if they fail to reach the expectations in terms of better energy supply.
“If the management does not reach the objectives in their program at foreseen time, we will ask for the termination of their contracts,” TVs and dailies quote Ceku as saying.
However, he praised the KEK management for a cash collection of €9 million only in November.
KEK Managing Director, Pranvera Dobruna-Kryeziu, justified the latest power cuts with many problems in the network and with bottlenecks in many regions of Kosovo. However, she promised a better supply during winter.
Lajm points out that by saying that KEK has collected €8.4 million in November, Manager Dobruna contradicts the statement of KEK Spokesperson, Donika Kadaj-Bujupi, who said on Friday that €7 million have been collected. The newspapers also reports that on Thursday’s UNMIK Pillar IV press conference Dobruna said compared to the same period last year the cash collection has increased by 15%, while on Monday she said this rate has increased by 30%.
The Task Force asked KEK officials not to apply power cuts during the Holiday of 28 November.
TV21 reports that the Association of Kosovo Municipalities criticized KEK for applying a severe regime of power cuts in some municipalities. The Association accused KEK of distributing electricity in an unequal way in the all regions.
Executive Director of Kosovo Municipality Association, Sazan Ibrahimi, said KEK should closely cooperate with municipalities in order to succeed in cash collection.
According to TV21, KEK needs €5 million to repair its old network.